Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Rocks in my head

I was in Sydney, Nova Scotia for work this week. Monday was a cloudy windy day so I went back to my hotel room, changed, grabbed my camera and headed to Louisburg. This is a historical village on the edge of Cape Breton Island. They have this lighthouse and trail that is fabulous. A photographer could putter for hours. I've been before (in the summer) and have been anxious to get back. I arrived there and saw a totally empty parking lot. It then dawned on me that I was a middle aged woman (well almost middle aged- I plan to live to 103), alone, at the end of a winding dirt road, in the middle of no where and no one knew where I was. Here's a shot- see the white speck- that's my car:
It occurred to me that this was not the smartest idea I'd ever had and perhaps I should back to civilization. Let me add in here that when I die and, if you attend my funeral, words that you will NOT hear tossed around are adjectives like prudent, cautious, careful.....(or patient, slow paced and unenthused, but I digress). So I decided to go for my walk. But, I'm not an idiot, so decided I wouldn't clamber over rocks, get too close to the edge or take other unnecessary risks -after all, I don't want the word stupid tossed around at my funeral! As I approached the trail, I saw the sign warning of coyotes. This is not a silly warning. Our coyotes are big and have been known to attack lone humans. A few years ago a young hiker was killed. They have signs posted telling you how to fend them off. And they provide sticks. So I grabbed one. See- not stupid.
This is me staying back from the rocks:



See- I had to use my zoom. I know, I know, it was my 18-55 lens, but still, I did zoom.  It was wild there. The wind made the trees creak and the waves crash. At one part I heard a booming sound that seemed to keep time with my heart- but it was more likely my heart was keeping time with it. I had to follow the sound:

The power of the water was unbelievable. The clouds were nifty too. And I did say that it was a lighthouse trail so here it is:


if you ever travel to Cape Breton- it's worth travelling there. Just take my advice and take a friend (hell I'll join you!), carry a stick and let people know where you are going :) 'k?

oh and don't tell my mother. She'd kill me.

2 comments:

  1. You're a great writer as well as photographer. You had me smiling,... no laughing. Glad you're safe. You be careful!
    The photos are worth the risks you took - they're breath taking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crazy girl you! :) Looks like it was a great time though.

    ReplyDelete