Sunday, November 11, 2012

The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month

Today is Remembrance Day in Canada (and other commonwealth countries). It is a day that we honour those who have served in the military. There are ceremonies everywhere and it always is on Nov 11 at 11 a.m. This was chosen as special significance because this was the end of hostilities for WW1.

There is a strong military history in our family: my two grandfathers, two uncles, my father all served. Now my son is at the Royal Military College. When he graduates he will be an officer and an engineer.

Two years ago I did a sight and sound essay of photos I took during the ceremony to enter in a competition at my photo club. It did quite well. Last year I didn't attend the ceremonies because the weather was atrocious. Instead I watched on TV. However, today was sunny and beautiful so Ed and I headed to the Cenotaph. There was a huge crowd. I decided to put together another sight and sound essay for the photos that I took but this time only for my pleasure, not for competition.

It's approximately 2 minutes long. The song is 'City Birds' by Jim Cuddy.


I am fortunate that it is extremely unlikely that I will ever know the hardships of war at my doorstep. But that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate those who offer so much.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I love all the pictures and the music was perfect. I really wish I could have gone to our local Veteran's Day parade, but we had some really bad storms so I hid inside instead lol. Maybe next year. :)

    ReplyDelete